2015 meant the second edition of iMapp Bucharest. The festival’s theme was “The Elements”. The concept referred to the fact that the shows can use combinations of any number of elements. They could have been abstract or figurative, realistic or symbolic, a dynamic mixture or just one element.
Again, more than 65.000 people came to see the video-mapping shows and danced all evening, on the opening grooves from renowned artists, Parov Stelar and Șuie Paparude.
News was also stillMapp Bucharest, a photography contest that selected the best photos from the grand public and projected those on the façade of the Palace of Parliament.
The public favourite of the 2015 edition was the Romanian Team, MotionScape. Their attractive mix of stunning visuals and emotional storytelling charmed the public, with the innovative use of an engaging voice-over narrative.
A new element, for this second edition, was the introduction of a Special Award of the Jury. A prestigious board of authorities in the cultural field selected the German Team, URBANSCREEN, as the winner, for the artistic high quality of their performance.
– AVA (Mexico). AVA Animation and Visual Arts is company that specialises in award winning projection mapping content. AVA is based in Mexico and has done projects for: Japan, Canada, U.S.A., Switzerland, Netherlands, Lebanon, Russia, Armenia and Saudi Arabia. www.avainmotion.com
– Dirty Monitor (Belgium). Over the years, the collective has made a name for itself thanks to its collaboration with some great names from the event sector, and the hard and passionate work from its team, which has been joined by several computer graphics, photography, matte painting and architectural design professionals.
– Urbanscreen (Germany). URBANSCREEN is an artist collective and creative company based in Bremen, Germany. Since 2005, the interdisciplinary team of architects, media artists, musicians, cultural scholars and technical specialists from various fields creates site-specific media installations for public spaces, including architectural projections, augmented sculptures, media façade concepts and virtual theatre. www.urbanscreen.com
– RadugaDesign (Russia). The company managed to combine european quality standards with russian market requirements implying high rate of realization and nonstandard original thinking. They have realized more than 250 unique projects including international works in France, Belgium, Korea, countries of the Commonwealth of Independent States and even at the North Pole. www.radugadesign.com
– Light Event Consulting (France). Light Event Consulting was created by Laurent Lhuillery, Deputy Mayor of Chartres in charge of the project “Chartres en Lumieres”. More than 1 million visitors year. The artistic direction is provided by Gilbert Coudene, creator of City Creation, mural paiting, more than 650 frescoes worldwide, including “The light could remain indifferent”, fresco of Lyonnais during the festival of lights Lyon 2013 (Partner Award). www.lighteventconsulting.com
– MotionScape (Romania). MotionScape is a collaborative project between Mindscape Studio and MotionLab, located in Bucharest, Romania. Their work covers the entire spectrum of services from consulting to conception, planning and realization of the project. Projection mapping, event visual design, interactive environments and installations; production and post production services for cinema, TV and commercials. www.mindscapestudio.ro www.motionlab.ro
Jean François Zurawik (iMapp jury’s president). Since 2003 he has held the position of Director of Events in the city of Lyon and ensures the overall coordination of the Festival of Lights. Jean Francois was also the artistic director of the first Dubai Festival of Light in 2014.
László Zsolt Bordos (also known as Bordos.ArtWorks) is a 3d artist living in Budapest, Hungary and a pioneer of the genre. Cooperating with other artists since 2010, he started to run the projects under the name ‘Bordos.ArtWorks and Invited Artists’, which became internationally recognized as eminent representatives of video projection mapping.
Alexander Us is a Creative Director and co-fownder of Sila Sveta — Moscow based projection mapping studio. He was one of the pioneers in projection mapping in Russia. Currently Alex is sharing CCO position and business-development in Sila Sveta International.
Rachael Rogerson-Thorley is the Editor of mondo*dr magazine, a 25-year-old publication specialising in technology in entertainment that covers some of the most impressive installations from around the world including theatres, nightclubs, stadia and houses of worship.
Like it? SHARE IT!